""Blessings Strengthen life and feed life just as water does." Rachel Naomi Remen, MD

This blog is a digital blessing bowl, a place to record the small blessings that are often missed or forgotten but which make life holy. Feel free to add your own blessings to my blessing bowl. Or perhaps you'll be encouraged to start your own.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Pure light and motion

"In Italian Renaissance painting, angels' wings were usually painted in minute detail, often outlining the markings on individual feathers on each wing. (Fra Angelico.) Gilt was also used when it could be afforded, making the wings appear to be even more inlaid and inwrought than the angels' garments. The desired result: to have the wings (especially in Annunciation paintings) give the effect of pure light and motion - but seen in intimate detail, as if with the eye of eternity able to stop time. Yet those angels seem heavily in harness compared with a Ruby-Throat in flight."  Peter Schmidt

What is it about hummingbirds that attracts us so?  Every time a hummingbird comes to my feeder, I stop what I'm doing to watch, and most people I know are the same way.
I was fortunate enough to snap a few pictures of some hummingbirds at the feeder Saturday morning - the thrill I felt was way out of proportion to the size of the bird!
For more information on hummingbirds, visit hummingbirds.net.

No comments: