""Blessings Strengthen life and feed life just as water does." Rachel Naomi Remen, MD

This blog is a digital blessing bowl, a place to record the small blessings that are often missed or forgotten but which make life holy. Feel free to add your own blessings to my blessing bowl. Or perhaps you'll be encouraged to start your own.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

A little siesta

“Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap.”  Robert Fulghum

It's a hot Saturday afternoon and two of my grandsons and my husband are upstairs napping.  I was, too, until one of the dogs came to find me to let me know that he needed to go outside.  
Studies show that a short snooze every day is good for your physical as well mental health, but a nap is a luxury for most of us.   My father, who was healthy and active most of his 89 years, napped almost every afternoon after he retired and often took a short nap after lunch when he was still working.  
But in recent years napping for me has been confined to vacations and an occasional Sunday afternoon.  When the children were small - especially when they were infants - we napped when they did if at all possible - even it was sitting in a chair.  My husband and infant son (the father of the two grandsons napping upstairs today) snoozed away on the porch at the family lake house in the summer of 1979.

Napping with the grandchildren brings back warm and happy memories of those days.  I think I'll go back upstairs and join the nappers now.

No comments: