""Blessings Strengthen life and feed life just as water does." Rachel Naomi Remen, MD

This blog is a digital blessing bowl, a place to record the small blessings that are often missed or forgotten but which make life holy. Feel free to add your own blessings to my blessing bowl. Or perhaps you'll be encouraged to start your own.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Brushed by Glory

"Ruthless Trust is an unerring sense, way deep down, that beneath the surface agitation, boredom, and insecurity of life, it's gonna be all right.  Ill winds may blow, more character defects may surface, sickness may visit, and friends will surely die, but a stubborn, irrefutable certainty persists that God is with us and loves us in our struggle to be faithful.
A non-rational, absolutely true intuition perdues that there is something unfathomably big in the universe (kabod/glory), something that points to Someone who is filled with peace and power, love and undreamed creativity - Someone who will reconcile all things in himself."  
Brennan Manning, from "Ruthless Trust"

I spend my weekdays behind a desk, inside a building, away from the open sky.  But as I drive to work each morning and then home again in the evening, I am often brushed by kabod as I see the sun rising and setting.  There have been times that I've been tempted to pull to the side of the road and sit, looking at the sky in awe.  It is easy to understand why heaven has always been thought of as above us, in the sky.  Yesterday I had a longer morning drive than usual as I was going first to my dentist, whose office is a 20 minute drive away through farmland and empty fields.  The sky was glorious, the sun bright, the clouds flirting with the sun.  The open fields were lined with bare trees silhouetted by the sun.  

I wasn't able to take pictures, and even if I had, they wouldn't have captured the glory of it.  But photos can remind us of that feeling that we've been brushed by kabod, that feeling that stops us in our tracks and silences us.  These photos taken by my husband do that for me.

May you look at the sky today and feel the brush of Glory.  May your hearts be filled with peace.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Ginny you have touched me with this wonderful post. When I am home I look daily to the E and W as I can see the rising and setting sun..On the Days I work most M-F I am in my car watching the sun rise and sometimes set...I am also often tempted to pull over and watch and sit for hours trying to capture its incredible beauty...and because I cannot I am often sad...now I will just feel special that I can experience it even from my car...thank you!!

Toni said...

Ginny, thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's cancer. God's Word sustains the weary. The Lord comforts His people and will have compassion on His afflicted ones. He will not forget your bother; he has been engraved on the palms of God's hands. (Isaiah 49) Praying God's glory will be on display through your brother's life.