""Blessings Strengthen life and feed life just as water does." Rachel Naomi Remen, MD

This blog is a digital blessing bowl, a place to record the small blessings that are often missed or forgotten but which make life holy. Feel free to add your own blessings to my blessing bowl. Or perhaps you'll be encouraged to start your own.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Blessing Remembered

This beautiful woman, Martha Tarleton,  (with her handsome husband, Harold, in this photo by Leslie Snow) would have been 92 years old today.  She blessed me all of the 35 years that I knew her and her memory continues to bless me today. I met her in 1971, the year I married her son and the year my own mother died.
She welcomed me into her family with grace and provided support and encouragement all of her life.  She played a mean game of Scrabble and could recite the names of all the United States presidents.  Her creamed corn, made with Silver Queen corn grown in her garden, was the best thing I've ever eaten.  She gave me sewing advice and shared her recipes.  But her greatest influences were her profound faith, her gentle spirit, and her unconditional love for her family.


Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

No comments: