""Blessings Strengthen life and feed life just as water does." Rachel Naomi Remen, MD

This blog is a digital blessing bowl, a place to record the small blessings that are often missed or forgotten but which make life holy. Feel free to add your own blessings to my blessing bowl. Or perhaps you'll be encouraged to start your own.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Ice cream and pigtails

My sister and my daughter cranking ice cream.
Summer 1974, making ice cream at my husband's parents home in Anson County.  Probably peach ice cream made with Georgia Bell peaches.  Hand cranked, the old-fashioned way.  It was our semi-annual visit to North Carolina during the years that we lived in Fairfax County, Virginia.  My sister, between her junior and senior years of college, was traveling through and stopped by for a visit.  We soaked up all that family time in those semi-annual visits and lived off of it for the next six months.  While in North Carolina we'd buy jars of Duke's mayonnaise and six packs of Cheerwine.  We ate crowder peas and Silver Queen corn and fresh tomatoes from my in-laws garden.  They'd give us jars of pickles to take home. 
My oldest daughter, then 3 1/2 years old, helped crank the ice cream.  She now has a 3 1/2 year old of her own.
Family, vegetables from the garden, homemade ice cream, and a 3-yr-old in pigtails.  Blessings all.

No comments: