""Blessings Strengthen life and feed life just as water does." Rachel Naomi Remen, MD

This blog is a digital blessing bowl, a place to record the small blessings that are often missed or forgotten but which make life holy. Feel free to add your own blessings to my blessing bowl. Or perhaps you'll be encouraged to start your own.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blessings big and small


The inspiration for this blog comes from this beautiful bowl, given to me as a Christmas gift by my sister a couple of years ago.  I love this bowl, with its handmade squares of paper and red ribbon.  When I look at it,  I'm reminded to think of my many blessings, even if I don't actually write them down and put them in the bowl.  But as life speeds by I realize that it would be wonderful to have a written reminder of the everyday blessings - and that if I really was good about writing them down, the bowl would be overflowing in no time.  So here I go with another blog and the hope of being faithful to its purpose.
Having said in the blog introduction that my posts will be about small blessings, I can't get started on those without first mentioning the huge blessing at the center of my life  -  my family.
I was born into this wonderful family, gathered here to celebrate my dad's 89th birthday in September.

And I was blessed to marry into this family.  (Unfortunately, there are a good many of them missing from this picture, taken at a reunion a few years ago.)

"you can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you."
— Frederick Buechner

I know this is true of my family.  Most of the time there are miles between us, but all of the time I carry them with me in my heart and mind.  The blessing of a loving family is so great that it carries us through all of life's pain and suffering and magnifies life's joys many times over.


Among today's many blessings were these two:
Seeing blooms on the spring snowflake,
and knowing that my two nieces, Sarah and Katie, sang in church this morning (even though I wasn't able to be there to hear them) and did so well that, in their mother's words "it brought applause even though we were in a Presbyterian Church :)"

No comments: